From my previous posts, I have laid out few articles and ways to make money off of online niches. In order for those items to work, you need to be able to increase traffic on your site to add more value return through online ads like adSense or payperclick.
It is much easier said than done. Most people fail because they cannot increase traffic to their web/blog sites. The downloadsqad posted Web Stats for Small Business which provide overviews on how you can increase traffic and what you should do in order to be in the first page from google search.
I cannot even get much traffic on my blog alone, it definitely needs lots of work/diligence in order to get this implemented and working for you. If you are serious about this, you need to really dig into this and get professional help if you can afford it.
1. Be Compliant - Make sure your Web site is W3C compliant [http://www.w3.org/] and search-engine friendly. That's a starting point that involves a careful Web audit and repair. If you're using FrontPage for a business site, it's time to stop. Develop a quality site that meets the rules.
2. Get a Google sitemap added to your site and submitted to Google.
3. Drive traffic to your site with quality links from important other Web sites. This means that you have to contact the Webmaster at another site that you think has great traffic that you want and get a quality link from them (and give them one in return).
"If you want to know more about this, click here." – This is an example of a bad link. Hyperlinked "click here" needs to disappear from Web sites.
"Contact Sue's Bakery to order custom wedding cakes in North Carolina." – That's a better link. Write your own link with the URL you want and send it to the other Webmaster. Like I said, it's human-intensive.
4. Pictures are secondary. Make sure that you have content-rich text on all your site pages; that your page titles use quality keywords; that you use quality meta tags. In short, get a quality Web designer.
5. SEO v SEM Learn the difference between SEO (Search Engine Optimization, more technical) and SEM (Search Engine Marketing). Check out SEMPO, the professional organization of SEM firms and look for a quality firm using SEMPO's search tool (check the firm's references, too).
6. Marketing - not IT Raising your ranking on any search engine is a marketing, not a technology, expense. Budget for it. Be open to buying keywords. Understand if you want a regional or national campaign.