I love the list the is put together from OnStartups, Startup PR: Tips For Getting Publicity Without A PR FirmTake a look yourself below in the quote.
1. “My philosophy of PR is summed up in six words: be amazing, be everywhere, be real.”
2. First time I’ve ever the heard of the term ceWebrities. clever. With regards to these ceWebrities, “these overnight successes are 10 years in the making.”.
3. “Be the brand…you must be in love with your brand and inspired by your brand’s mission to have any hope of getting press.”
4. “Be everywhere…every single night I would go out and meet folks in the internet industry…while other folks went home to their families, I went out and made a family.”
5. “Your job is to transfer the enthusiasm you feel for your brand to everyone you meet.”
6. “Always pick up the check — always…everyone remembers who picked up the check”.
7. “Set a goal of creating deep relationships with a small number of folks as opposed to running around trying to trade business cards with as many folks as possible.”
8. “Be a human being. The best way to get PR is not to sell someone on your company or product — it’s by being a human being. Journalists hate being pitched…journalists and bloggers are, in fact, humans.”
9. “Before meeting with a journalist, it is your job (as CEO) to read their last five articles in full…”
10. “Your job as the CEO/founder is to create direct, honest and personal relationships with journalists.”
11. “Attach your brand to a movement.”
12. “PR is, by definition a reflection of what you’ve done. When a startup hits, it’s not one thing that does it, it’s typically many things working in concer.”I'd summarize the advice and change the 6 words of advice to: Be amazing, be passionate, be human.